With an abundance of beautifully plump Meyer Lemons illegally picked from people's yards and a need to set things on fire with a kitchen blow torch, I knew I had to make Lemon meringue cupcakes. These lemon meringue cupcakes are basically vanilla cupcakes with lemon filling, topped with toasted meringue frosting. The tartness cuts through the sweetness beautifully. These cupcakes were a major hit with both children and adults, and a big request during weddings.
Super Moist Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Makes about 24 standard size cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcake batter
- Lemon filling (recipe below)
- Meringue frosting (recipe below)
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full.
- Add about 2 teaspoons lemon filling in the center of cupcake batter.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Frost your cupcakes as desired and use a kitchen torch to toast the frosting.
Lemon Filing Recipe
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (can substitute with all-purpose flour)
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water and whisk until combined.
- Turn on the heat to medium high and let the mixture cook for two minutes while whisking.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, ladle about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the egg yolks while whisking. Continue to ladle another 1/4 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks while whisking. This will warm up the yolks without scrambling them.
- Add egg yolk mixture back into the sauce pan.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- Continue to cook until thicken and smooth.
- 7 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Make a double-boiler by placing the metal bowl from your stand mixer on top of a pot of boiling water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the egg whites, sugar and salt.
- Continuously whisk mixture until frothy and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Return the bowl back to the stand mixer and beat on high until it comes to room temperature and starts to thicken.
- Once thicken, add vanilla and continue to beat on high for about 10 minutes or when stiff peaks form.