My husband came home one day and raved about an arugula salad he had at a work function. The following day he purchased all the ingredients himself and proclaimed he was going to replicate the beloved arugula salad. Now, this came from the man who only cooks ramen and eggs. This was something to take seriously. This was something big.
After laboring away in the kitchen and dirtying up nearly all pots and pans, he finished his creation: arugula salad with olive oil/rice wine vinegar dressing. I'm not a big fan of arugula. I find it too bitter. But when combined with the olive oil/vinegar dressing, the bitterness was subdued. The salad was really good. I mean, it was really, really good. Now I can eat my greens and enjoy it too. Yay for strong flavors that mask bitter tastes!
Arugula Salad with Olive Oil Recipe
- 1 standard size bag of arugula (7 oz)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (cherry tomatoes preferred)
- 4 strips of bacon; cut into small pieces
- 2 cups croutons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Lightly toss the dressing with the arugula, tomatoes, bacon and croutons.