The nights around here have been really cold. I usually keep warm by snuggling up in between my babies. One kid on the left and another kid on the right. It's the warmest spot in all the land. This works well until you get a hand or foot smacked in the face.
Another way to keep warm without losing an eye is chowing down on a warm bowl of chicken and dumplings. This dish is hearty, simple and delicious. It definitely warms the belly and soul. I also love that it is a one-pot meal. You have your meat, bread and vegetables all in one pot. It works out beautifully when you want a complete meal without the fuss.
Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Dumplings (see recipe below)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley or cilantro
- In a large pot, add the vegetable oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the bay leaf, potato, carrots, onion, and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and chicken stock.
- Bring pot to a boil.
- Add chicken and dumplings. Leave spaces between the dumplings.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover pot and cook for 5 minutes to let the sauce reduce.
- Add peas and stir. Cook for another minute.
- Top with parsley/cilantro and a fresh crackling of black pepper before serving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Work the butter in the flour mixture with your hands until flour resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and kneed until dough comes together.
- Cut into golf-ball size pieces.