We had a BBQ with oysters the other day. The oysters were huge so eating them raw was out of the question. For the monstrous oysters, we BBQ-ed them and simply ate them with a bit of salt, pepper and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Someone (ahem, Mom) went overboard and purchased way too many oysters. After stuffing our bellies, there were plenty left. While others (ahem Sis) were thinking of ways to dispose the leftover oysters, I opted to cook and shuck the remaining ones. I left them in the fridge until I was able to find ways to repurpose them. Yes, wasting food is not an option!
The next day, I ended up deep-frying the leftover oysters and eating them with a zingy mayonnaise/lemon dipping sauce. Deep-frying the oysters provided a different texture so we didn't get too bored with them. I also topped off a boring green salad with the fried oysters.
I still have a small batch of oysters in the fridge. The fate of those oysters has yet to be determined.
Deep Fried Oysters
- 8 large oysters
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika or cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- Oil for deep-drying
- Throw the oysters onto a BBQ and cook them until the shell open up.
- Scoop out the oyster meat from the shell.
- Cut the oysters into halves or thirds, if needed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika/cayenne and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk together the yolks and whites.
- Dip the oysters in the beaten egg mixture and then dredge through the bread crumbs.
- Tap off excess bread crumbs.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium high.
- Drop a small piece of bread crumb into the oil to test the temperature. If small bubbles accumulate around the bread crumb, then the oil is ready.
- Cook the oysters in batches and fry until golden brown. Remember that the oysters are fully cooked from the BBQ so when the outside turns the perfect brown, quickly remove them from the fryer and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Mayonnaise-Based Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ½ lemon; juiced
- A few drops of your favorite hot sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and hot sauce.