If you ever gone to a Japanese restaurant, chances are you familiar with the Japanese Cucumber Salad or Sunomono. It's a very simple side dish. It's a blend of sour, sweet and salty, the perfect refreshing complement to a hearty dish. Enjoy!
Japanese Cucumber Salad Recipe:
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Peel the cucumber, leaving small stripes of the peel on. The remaining peel provides color and crunch.
- Thinly slice the peeled cucumber with a knife.
- Gently squeeze excess water out of the cucumber slices and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and microwave the mixture for 15 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until everything is dissolved. Let the mixture cool if it's hot.
- Add the cucumber slices to the bowl and mix.
- Let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a small skillet, dry toast the sesame seeds until fragrant and golden. Then sprinkle it on top of cucumber when you are ready to serve.