Thanks to a friend, I found a small seafood store in the heart of Oakland Chinatown that will now be my go-to store for all my seafood needs. I stumbled onto razor clams that were still so very alive and fresh. I bought 3 lbs of live razor clams, and was giddy with anticipation on what I'll do with them once I get home. I wanted something simple that wouldn't mask the taste of my fresh seafood. Steamed Razor Clams with Ginger (Ốc Hấp Gừng) is what I came up with.
Steamed Razor Clams with Ginger (Ốc Hấp Gừng)
- 3 lbs razor clams
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 3-4 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce
- Soak the clams in salted water for at least 15 minutes. Scrub and rinse thoroughly.
- Lightly smash ginger with a large mallet to release flavor.
- Steam the clams with the smashed ginger until shells open up.
- Combine scallions and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Brush scallion oil onto the steamed clams.
- Serve clams with Vietnamese fish sauce dipping sauce.