Shrimp Egg Roll, Cha Gio Tom, is a super simple Vietnamese appetizer. It is whole shrimp, marinated in a quick sauce, rolled in egg wrappers and deep fried. It comes with a side of a sweet chili dipping sauce. It's fancy. It's delicious. Best of all, it's super simple to make and it will surely impress a crowd.
This recipe uses only five ingredients: Shrimp, egg roll wrapper, oyster sauce, sugar and an egg. I usually make this dish when I have a couple of hours of peace and quiet. I gather everything together, set up an assembly line, prop myself in front of a TV with reruns of Friends running and roll away.
These shrimp egg rolls are best served immediately after frying to retain the crunch. However, if you have leftover, you can bake them in the oven to get back the crunch. You can also assemble the egg rolls a day ahead and fry them up the next day.
- 1 lb headless shrimp (peel, devein and leave tails on to make a "handle")
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 packet of egg wrappers
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Bottle of sweet chili dipping sauce
- In a bowl, add the shrimp, oyster sauce and sugar. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg with a fork. Set aside.
- Follow instructional pictures below to assemble.
- Deep fry the shrimp egg rolls at 375 F for about 2-3 minutes per batch or until golden brown.
- Remove the shrimp egg rolls from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve immediately with a side of sweet chili dipping sauce. For this dish, I personally like the store-bought thick sauce. You usually can find this sauce in the condiment section where they house the oyster sauce, soy sauce and the likes.
- Devour the shrimp egg rolls and smile widely.
Step 1 - Cut the stack of egg roll wrappers in half at a diagonal. Then separate the wrapper into individual sheets.
Step 2 - Place a shrimp at the end of a corner with the tail sticking out. Then roll up.
Step 3 - At the midway point, pull the corner of the wrapper over the shrimp.
Step 4 - Continue rolling up. Place a bit of egg wash at the end of the last corner to seal the wrapper together.
You should have an shrimp egg roll that looks like this.