Papa Beard serve these divine molten lava cake, and I just had to make some myself. The first attempt was a complete disaster. It sort of looked like poo on a plate.
After a couple more tries, I think I got it! Here’s the recipe:
This recipe makes 4 6-oz servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for ramekins or custard cups
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for ramekins or custard cups
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter 4 6 oz. ramekins or custard cups. Dust with granulated sugar and tap out excess. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in flour and salt until just combined. Beat in chocolate until just combined. Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins or custard cups
- Place the ramekins or custard cups onto a baking sheet and bake until the tops of the cakes jiggle slightly when shaken, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve, run a knife along the outside of the cake and turn it over onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve with whipped cream (optional).