I promised my sister that I would put up this Creamy Mashed Potato Casserole recipe on my blog. Here you go, Sis (many, many months later).
Casseroles are known to feed the hungry and the heart broken. It has all the components of a hearty meal in one pan. Granted, I had to use other pots and pans to prep the ingredients for this particular casserole, but your carbs, proteins and vegetables are served from one pan.
Many casseroles call for a cream of something. Most people opt for the canned cream of mushroom or chicken to keep things simple, as what a casserole is all about. Here, I did it differently. Since the base of the casserole is mashed potatoes, I made the mashed potatoes super creamy with sour cream. I omitted the canned cream.
The casserole turned out great. It had a crunchy layer on top, a layer of ground beef and sauteed carrots, peas and corn hidden in the middle, and another layer of creamy garlic mashed potatoes at the bottom. My niece who is 1 year old enjoyed this casserole so much that she introduced her whole face to it.
Make this casserole in large batches. Freeze the left over for when you need quick American comfort food. Enjoy!
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potato Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large, peel then quarter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic (mince finely)
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain potatoes and place back in hot pot.
- Add salt, pepper, sour cream, butter and Parmesan cheese to the potatoes.
- In a small fry pan, add vegetable oil and heat on medium high. Add garlic and lightly fry until nicely toasted. Add toasted garlic to the potatoes.
- Mash ingredients together or whip with an electric mixer until smooth.
Beef & Vegetable Stuffing Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white/yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic (mince finely)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, and/or corn)
- In a medium size pan, heat vegetable oil on medium high. Add onion and garlic. Saute until fragrant and limp.
- Add ground beef and cook thoroughly. Drain off excess fat.
- Add frozen vegetables. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Creamy garlic mashed potato (recipe above)
- Beef and vegetable stuffing (recipe above)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a casserole dish, fill the bottom with a thin layer of creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
- Add a layer of beef and vegetables.
- Add another layer of creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle top layer with cheddar cheese and broil on high until the top layer is golden brown.