Quick Cucumber Kimchi
A quick Korean cucumber kimchi recipe that’s spicy, sweet and tangy. It’s perfect either as a side dish or a main salad. Enjoy the recipe below!
Quick Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
- 1 lb Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 tablespoon salt to draw out water from cucumbers
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves (peel and mince)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly, remove ends and slice into at least 1/4-inch circles.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine salt and sliced cucumbers. Give them a good toss to evenly coat. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or when cucumbers release most or all of its water. Rinse them off lightly to get rid of the excess salt. Lightly squeeze and drain dry. Give the bowl a quick rinse and transfer cucumbers back to bowl.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, Korean red pepper flakes, garlic and rice vinegar. Give it a quick taste and adjust if necessary.
- Pour sauce over the cucumbers and toss to evenly coat.
- Serve immediately or placed in the refrigerator to chill lightly. If cucumbers are stored in the fridge for more than a day, the sauce will draw more water from the cucumbers and appear watery, which will not look as appetizing but still taste wonderful.