Now that summer is here and in full bloom, try out this savory and light dish: Shrimp Lettuce Wrap with Peanut Sauce. It’s a Western twist on the traditional Vietnamese Spring Rolls. This version omits the rice noodles and replaces the rice paper wrapper with a romaine lettuce leaf. This just means you stuff your face with the good stuff and avoid the fillers. Enjoy!
Preparing the Shrimp
- 2 cups shrimp; peeled, butterflied and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small egg white
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine everything in small bowl and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium high until it reaches 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Quickly fry the shrimp for no more than 1 minute or until the outside is slightly pink. Overcooked shrimp is no good!
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and let it rest on a plate, lined with paper towels.
Preparing the Sauce
- 1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
In a small pot, combine all the ingredients and simmer on low until everything is melted and combined.
Preparing the Filling
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (any kind)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of minced cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat.
- Add in carrots, onions and garlic
- Sautee until the vegetables are fully cooked and limped
- If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time
- After 5-8 minutes when everything is cooked, turn off the heat and add in the fried shrimp, cilantro and 2 tablespoons of peanut sauce.
- Lightly toss
Assembling the Lettuce Wraps
- 12 baby romaine lettuce leaves
- Line a plate with the baby romaine lettuce leaves
- Scoop a spoonful of the shrimp/vege filling into each leaf
- Drizzle with peanut sauce