Spicy Korean Squid and Fried Tofu Stir Fry with Gochujang
Here is a super tasty and spicy stir-fry sauce made up of a Korean chili paste condiment known as gochujang. Gochujang is a Korean fermented red chili paste, mixed with soybeans, glutinous rice powder and salt. It has a spicy and sweet flavor that goes great with stir-fries, soups, marinades and stews.
Luckily for us, gochujang is increasingly gaining popularity. You can find it just about anywhere, like sriracha sauce nowadays. Just look in the Asian section at your local grocery store or click here to get it online. If you don’t use all of the gochujang, have no fear. The condiment keeps well in the fridge. I have a large tub of gochujang that’s been sitting in the fridge for over 6 months and still going strong! Just remember to store it in the fridge after opening to preserve freshness and that vibrant red spicy color.
Gochujang stir-fry is a quick way to get that Korean street-food flavor. Use it in a stir fry with chicken, beef, tofu or seafood and with whatever vegetables you have on hand (squash, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, etc). The combinations are endless.
In today’s recipe I’m tossing my gochujang stir-fry sauce with fried tofu and squid. The squid I’m using in this particular recipes comes frozen. They are already prepped, scored and precooked. These frozen and already prepped squid are not my first choice because its texture is compromised being already processed. However, I always have a bag or two in my freezer for emergency dinners when I’m short on time or just feeling lazy.
Enjoy the recipe below.
Easy Spicy Korean Squid and Fried Tofu Stir Fry with Gochujang
- 1/2 lb fried tofu cubes
- 1 lb frozen precooked and scored squid (thaw out in lukewarm water)
- 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar (can substitute with honey or mirin)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-3 stalks green onions (remove roots, cut into 1 inch pieces)
Spicy Stir-Fry Sauce
- Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat wok with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant (about 5 seconds).
- Add fried tofu, squid and stir-fry sauce. Stirring continuously until the sauce is thickened and ingredients are covered in sauce.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with steamed rice for a complete meal.