Salads are boring so for the below salad, I decided to spice it up by topping it with crispy fried chicken skins. This is sort of cheating and negates the purpose of a healthy salad, but whatever. It's delicious and it makes me want to eat a salad. If that's not success, I don't know what is.
The fried chicken skins not only make the salad look more appetizing, it also gives an extra layer of flavor and texture.
I also spiced it up the succotash salad by fire roasting my red bell peppers before chopping them up. It's a bit of extra work and messy. But that roasted flavor ... oh so worth it.
Succotash Salad Recipe
- 4 sweet white corn on the cobs; grilled then removed from cob
- 4 red bell peppers; fire roasted until charred, peeled then diced
- 1 can garbonzo or lima beans (15 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 small lemon; juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro; minced
- Fried chicken skin bits or bacon bits (optional)
Combine everything in a bowl and mix well. Add in the fried chicken skin or bacon when you are ready to serve.