Vietnamese Grilled/Baked Pork Sausage Spring Rolls with Orange Dipping Sauce (Nem Nuong Nha Trang)
Nem Nuong Cuon or Nem Nuong Nha Trang is a spring roll appetizer that appears in many Vietnamese restaurants. These spring rolls are made with rice paper and filled with Vietnamese grilled / baked pork sausage, lettuce, assorted herbs, a crunchy component made from either fried rice paper wrapper or egg roll wrapper and comes with its signature orange dipping sauce on the side.
In Vietnam, Nem Nuong Cuon is usually served as a deconstructed dish and you assemble your own rolls. Here in the States, we are thankfully given assembled rolls that we can quickly enjoy.
Below is a recipe for Nem Nuong Cuon completely from scratch and its famous orange dipping sauce. Happy eating!
Vietnamese Grilled / Baked Pork Sausage Spring Rolls (Nem Nuong Nha Trang)
- Vietnamese grilled/baked pork sausage (Nem Nuong)
- Cucumbers (slice into matchsticks)
- Other Vietnamese herbs and vegetables (sorrel, perilla, garlic chives, peppermint and spearmint)
- 1 package rice paper wrappers
- 1 package eggroll / lumpia wrappers (cut into small squares, roll and seal with a beaten egg then deep-fry until crunchy)
- 1/4 cup annatto oil (Dau Hat Dieu)
- 2 garlic cloves (peel and mince finely)
- 1 small shallot (peel and mince finely)
- 2 tablespoons pork liver pate or 8 oz ground pork
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon chicken or mushroom bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice powder
Vegetables / Wrappers
Nem Nuong Orange Dipping Sauce
- Make Vietnamese grilled/baked pork sausage (Nem Nuong) and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Heat up annatto oil in a medium-size saucepan. Add garlic and shallot. Pan-fry until fragrant. Add liver pate or ground pork, making sure to break up any clumps with a wooden spoon. Add water, sugar, bouillon powder, salt and rice powder. Whisk until thickened. Set aside.
- To assemble: wet a sheet of rice paper lightly and lay it on a flat surface. Fold in one side for a sharp edge. Add desired vegetables, leaving the leafy lettuce dangling on the side for a beautiful presentation. Add fried egg roll wrapper and a slice of Vietnamese grilled/baked pork sausage (Nem Nuong). Tuck and roll everything together from the bottom. Fold in the other side, then continue to roll up to finish wrapping. Visual instructions below.