When I think of Sriracha hot sauce, I typically think of Pho Bo or Pho Ga, the famous Vietnamese Noodle Soups that I add Sriracha to. Now, Sriracha is everywhere, appearing in the dishes themselves. They are not just a condiment alongside a dish anymore. Asians have been eating Sriracha forever, but now it's finally getting the attention it so highly deserves. It even has its own cult following! How cool and creepy is that?!
What is this magical sauce? Srirarcha is an Asian hot sauce made up of chili, garlic, vinegar, salt and sugar. Aside from Pho, Sriracha is an absolute must in my dipping sauce in Vietnamese Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls and Jicama and Carrot Spring Rolls. Recently I had them as a marinade on baked chicken (jumping on the Sriracha bandwagon here) and to my pleasant surprise, the fusion was incredibly tasty and the aroma was amazing! It lured the family downstairs to the kitchen to see what was cooking ... in a good way this time!
For my Sriracha Honey chicken recipe below, I like to use wings or drumettes. The bite-sized portions of poultry goodness is great for entertaining. For this Vietnamese-American fusion appetizer, I base it on a more traditional Vietnamese recipe. I use a traditional Vietnamese Five-Spice marinade as the base. Then I brush the wings with the Honey Sriracha mixture towards the end of cooking to highlight the sexy sauce. The result was packed full of flavor, and I truly love that sticky sweet and spicy glaze. Recipe below. Happy eating!
Oven-Baked Honey Sriracha Chicken WingsPrinter-Friendly Recipe
IngredientsFive-Spice Chicken Marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon grass
- 7 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 40 small chicken wings
- 1/3 cup Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients in the Five-Spice Marinade. Add chicken and toss to evenly coat. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread the chicken in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Then flip and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix Sriracha and honey until combined. Brush wings with Sriracha and Honey mixture, switch oven to broil. Bake until golden brown. Flip and repeat.