It's the start of crab season! At $3.99 per lb, all I can say is nom, nom, nom.
Salt & Pepper Crab (Cua Rang Muoi) Recipe
- 3 whole crabs; scrub clean then cut into small pieces
- 1 cup tapioca starch or all-purpose flour
- 1 bunch of green onions (about 7 sprigs); cut into small segments at a diagonal
- 6 garlic cloves; minced
- 1 jalapeno; sliced thin at a diagonal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a medium size pot, heat the vegetable oil on high.
- Coat the meaty ends of the crab legs in tapioca starch or all-purpose flour. Tap off excess.
- Cooking in batches, deep fry the crab legs until they float to the top (about 8-10 minutes). You know the oil is ready to use when a pinch of starch or flour dropped in the oil violently sizzles.
- Remove the crab from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Lightly coat a large wok or pan with vegetable oil and heat on medium high.
- Toss in the green onions, garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Stir with wooden spoon until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add in the deep-fried crab legs. Quickly toss until crab legs are completely coated with mixture.
- Serve immediately.