Tomatoes and beef go together nicely. They are often found in stir fries in many Asian countries, and there are many variations of the recipe. Like all stir fries, this Vietnamese Beef and Tomato Stir Fry recipe, or Thit Bo Xao Ca, cooks up quickly and is pretty much fool-proof. You are basically throwing everything together in a wok. What's more simple than that?
To serve this dish, You ladle a heaping scoop of the stir fry onto a warm bowl of steamed white rice. It's great for a cold and stormy day, much like today in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's Asian comfort food. Best of all, I only dirtied one pot. I rather be in my warm bed on this stormy day than the kitchen, washing dishes.
Beef and Tomato Stir Fry Recipe (Thit Bo Xao Ca)
Ingredients (serves 5-6)
- 1 lb skirt or flank steak (cut into thin strips perpendicular to the grain)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peel and mince)
- 3 large tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 4-5 large mushrooms (any kind, remove stems then slice) optional
- 2 small bell peppers (de-seed and slice into thick strips) optional
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 green onions (remove root ends and cut into 1-inch segments)
- Add all the ingredients in the Beef Marinade together and toss to coat. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar together in a small bowl. Mix then set aside.
- In a large wok, add vegetable oil and heat on high.
- Add the beef and sear quickly to nice caramelization on the outside. Make sure that the beef is in a single layer to get a nice sear. If the wok doesn't fit all the beef, you may need to cook the beef in batches.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms and bell peppers. Toss and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and toss to coat.
- Splash the rice wine along the inside edge of the wok to burn off the alcohol.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the green onions.
- Serve with steamed white rice and enjoy.