Who doesn't love the baked Lion King Roll at your local sushi house? The Lion King Roll is a baked salmon roll topped with the sauce of the Gods, mayo and Sriracha. I have learned how to replicate this famous sushi roll at home. However, it takes some time to make the sushi rice, cut the ingredients into long segments and roll everything in seaweed wrapper.
This baked teriyaki salmon dish tastes like a deconstructed Lion King Roll. You get a similar taste of the famous Lion King Roll but instead of hours preparing, it takes minutes. There's no sushi rice to make. There's no rolling. It's so quick and easy that it's now one of my go-to meals when I'm short on time.
It also helps to make a large batch of the teriyaki sauce and have it ready-to-go. This homemade teriyaki sauce is better than any store-bought sauce, which I often find way too pungent. The homemade teriyaki sauce is also great on chicken and pork.
Baked Teriyaki Salmon with Mayo and Sriracha Sauce Recipe
Makes four servings
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Steamed white rice
- 1 large avocado
Sriracha Mayo Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, honey, water and corn starch in a small sauce pan until the corn starch is completely dissolved. Heat the sauce pan on medium high until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Let the mixture cool. Then marinate the salon fillets in the mixture for at least 30 minutes. Overnight in the fridge is best.
- Lay the fillets on foil and pop them in the oven at 400 F. No need to preheat. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the fillets are done baking, sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and broil on high for 5 minutes to get a golden brown top.
- Mix together mayo and Sriracha.
- Top the cooked salmon with the mayo sauce.
- Serve with steamed white rice and sliced avocados.