Day Light Savings robbed me of an hour this morning. When it comes to baking, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. One batch of frosting broke into an oily mess, and I had to start all over from scratch. That one extra hour would have been nice to redo my frosting without hyperventilating from the thought of not making it to the party on time. Working like a mad woman, I managed to push through and complete the 40 cupcakes. Although I probably arrived at the party looking like I had a run-in with gangsters, I made it on time with all 40 cupcakes intact. Success.
Super Moist Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Makes 18 standard size cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fully combined.
- Add the melted chocolate to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined.
- Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in thirds mixing until just combined after each third.
- Mix in water until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and put in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick at the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.