The end of Summer is near. Thank God! If I have to go another month with my kids 24/7, I don't think I'm going to make it. This August both kids will be in school and I am super excited for the few hours of quiet when they are away. While I am counting down the days when school starts again, I'm spending the remaining few days of summer vacation with them, testing and baking various cupcake recipes. When I say baking with my kids, I mean them licking the spatulas and bowls clean, and leaving a bigger mess for me to clean. Fun times.
Coffee/Mocha Cupcake Recipe
(makes 12-15 standard size cupcakes)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Dissolve the espresso powder in the hot coffee. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Then mix in oil, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and coffee mixture until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes when an inserted toothpick at the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.