This post requires little introduction. Fried chicken in cupcake form. For the love of everything holy why I would create such a monstrosity? Simple. Because I can. Mwahahaha!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon vinegar with 1 cup milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cornmeal, sugar and salt.
- In another medium-size bowl, mix together the melted butter, eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Garlic & Thyme Mashed Potato Recipe
- 3 large Russet potatos (peeled, quartered and boiled until fork tender)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add olive oil to a medium-size pot and heat on medium high.
- Add garlic and thyme and saute for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add butter until melted.
- Add the cooked potato, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the potato until smooth.
- Pipe or scoop mashed potato onto each cornbread "cupcake".
For the gravy, I took a shortcut and used an instant brown gravy packet. Follow packet instructions. Then drizzle about 2 teaspoons of gravy on top of the mashed potato.
Fried Chicken Recipe
- 5 lbs chicken thighs (Debone thighs for easier eating. You may need to cut thighs in half to fit on top of "cupcakes")
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fill a medium-sized pot halfway with vegetable oil and heat on high.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss until combined.
- Add the corn starch and toss until combined. Do not over toss as the corn starch will clump.
- Fry the chicken in batches at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes or when wings float to the top with the desired color.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate lined with paper towels to remove the excess oil. Serve immediately.
- Top each "cupcake" with a piece of fried chicken.