My 3-year-old daughter said she's a monkey. I asked, "Why?" "Because I love bananas," she replied. I corrected her, "You're not a monkey. You're a little girl who loves bananas." She crossed her arms and stormed off. I ignored her and went back to what I was doing. After 10 minutes, she came out of her hiding place with a tear-stained face. "Mommy, I'm not a little girl. I am a monkey."
Because I have a monkey for a daughter, we always have a lot of bananas around the house. On the rare occasion that the monkey doesn't eat her bananas before they get mushy and overly ripe, I make the monkey's favorite treat, banana muffins.
Other days, she's a bear.
Banana Muffin Recipe (makes 24)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 dark speckled bananas, mashed well with fork
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (sour cream, milk, or buttermilk can be used as substitutions)
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Mixed the bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
- Fill muffin trays 3/4 full.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in tray completely before removing.