Have you ever stood in the produce section of a grocery store and compared the prices of individual carrots vs. the 5-lb bag? Every. Single. Time. Damn you marketing people! What I do with all these carrots? The first thing that comes to mind is to grate them up and stuff them into cupcakes, and that was what I did.
Carrot Cupcake Recipe (makes 14)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture a third at a time. Mix after each addition until evenly incorporated.
- Add the carrots. Mix until evenly incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
Candied/Caramelized Walnuts Recipe
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small sauce pan, add all the ingredients together.
- Heat on medium high until sugar and butter is completely melted.
- Stir the walnuts for 1 minute to get a toasty finish.
- Transfer the walnuts to a plated lined with paper towels. The walnuts may start clumping so immediately separate them.
- Let the walnuts dry for 5 minutes.