Have you ever stood in the produce section of a grocery store and compared the prices of individual carrots vs. the 5-lb bag? Every. Single. Time. Damn you marketing people! What I do with all these carrots? The first thing that comes to mind is to grate them up and stuff them into cupcakes, and that was what I did.
Carrot Cupcake Recipe (makes 14)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots, squeeze out excess liquid
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple or apple sauce (squeeze out excess liquid)
- 1/2 cups walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture a third at a time. Mix after each addition until evenly incorporated.
- Add the carrots, pineapple/applesauce and walnuts. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 4 oz or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 oz or 8 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon milk
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add everything together and mix on low.
- Increase the speed to medium until the frosting gets smooth and fluffy (at least 3 minutes).
Candied/Caramelized Walnuts Recipe
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small sauce pan, add all the ingredients together.
- Heat on medium high until sugar and butter is completely melted.
- Stir the walnuts for 1 minute to get a toasty finish.
- Transfer the walnuts to a plated lined with paper towels. The walnuts may start clumping so immediately separate them.
- Let the walnuts dry for 5 minutes.