There's one thing I always have in my refrigerator: homemade Vietnamese dipping fish sauce. With that always on hand, a quick meal to whip up is Vietnamese Fried Chicken with Fish Sauce. You simply deep fry your favorite chicken pieces in a mixture of corn starch/tapioca flour, salt and pepper. Then dunk it in dipping sauce. It sounds so simple but trust me, it's full of flavors.
Vietnamese Fried Chicken with Fish Sauce Recipe:
This recipe serves a party of 7-10
- 4.5 lbs chicken wings or drumettes (about 50 pieces total)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or corn starch
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce
- Wash chicken thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat with tapioca flour or corn starch. Tap off excess.
- In a medium size pot, heat vegetable oil on high. Deep fry chicken in batches. The chicken will rise to the top when ready, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- While the chicken is still hot, individually drop each piece into a bowl of Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce. Immediately remove.
- For a complete meal, serve with white rice, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.