Chicken rice or Com Ga. Such a plain-looking dish, but don't let it fool you. This dish is packed with flavors. This dish uses a lot of ginger. So if you have ginger to use up, this is a recipe for you.
Chicken Rice Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (free-range chicken preferred)
- 1/2 cup fatty chicken skins (can be removed from whole chicken)
- 2 liters water
- 1 ½ cups chopped/grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon MSG
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups white rice (washed, rinsed and drained dry)
- Thoroughly clean the chicken in a bath of water and salt. Then rinse.
- In a large pot with two liters of boiling water, add the whole chicken. Cook for 30-35 minutes. Transfer chicken into an ice bath. Keep the chicken stock for the rice.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the ice bath and cut into small pieces.
- Heat a wok or large pan on medium high.
- Add the chicken skin and let skin brown and fat render. Be careful. The fat will splatter. Hot chicken oil in the eye is no fun.
- Remove the fried chicken skins and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. These are tasty bits. You can save these as toppings on the rice or add a bit of salt and pepper and enjoy these as a snack.
- Saute the grated/chopped ginger until limp in the oily pool of chicken fat. Cook for 5 minutes until the ginger is limp and fragrant. Add MSG, sugar and salt.
- Add uncooked rice.
- Toss the rice until the grains are nice and opaque. This will provide tons of flavor!
- In a stock pot with a lid, add the rice and 10 cups of chicken stock.
- Cook the rice on low for 25 minutes with lid on.
Ginger Fish Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons of grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon MSG
- 1 ½ limes; juiced
- 2 teaspoons minced chili peppers
- Combine above sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- When you are ready to eat, serve with rice and chicken. Smear some of the delicious ginger fish sauce on top.